Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Success!

Saturday was perhaps the most nerve-wracking day of my life (so far). 

For those who might not know, I ran for re-election to my tribal government (the Huu-ay-aht First Nations) and I was fortunate to keep the trust of the people and be re-elected to our inaugural post-treaty government. I had a lot of help along the way, especially by that of my family and my very significant other, Crystal. 

In the next four years, I hope to underline the importance of earning the trust of our people by showing them them that government isn't neccessarily a barrier to getting things done, that their elected representatives can be trusted to not only do their work but show their work and that there is, in deed as well as in word, hope for the future. 

There will be a lot of work ahead, but I am eager to sit down with my colleagues and plan our strategy for accomplishing the dreams of our ancestors and giving our future generations a world better than it was when we inherited it. 

I am a man of high ideals, perhaps focused too much on the larger ideas and the bigger picture. I am a dreamer, though I have learned much of the responsibility inherent in democratic representation. I see our community as a group of people before all other things, and as a result, I must weigh the effect a policy or decision will have on people with my own attitudes, values and beliefs. 

I think we have a good balance of people in government and in the administration to check my top-down and ideological tendancies. I think I have much to offer and much to learn from those around me. If we remain focused on the good of the people and the best interests of the Huu-ay-aht First Nations as a whole, then I think we can accomplish good, maybe even great, things. 

"We'll see," says the Zen Master... (Charlie Wilson's War)

No comments: